Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Another moment of Stupidity

Today started out normal. I was really tired, but I still managed to get over to Curves for my workout. Well, I got back from Curves and went to check my mail. I felt inside the pocket of my purse where I keep the key and discovered there was only 1 key in there. Automatically I pictured the mail key sitting on my counter. Crap - I forgot to grab it. I drive around to my parking lot, grab my stuff, and head up to my apartment. Here is where I reach into my purse and pull out the mail key. Oh! So I have it after all - this means that it must be my apartment key sitting on the counter. Crap. I didn't want to call and bug the realitor, so I go back down to my car and call 411. "I need a locksmith!" She lists 3 in the area and asks which one I'd like. I said 'whatever one can get me into my apartment.' She connects me with one and I wait 20-30 minutes while the guy tries to find my place. Meanwhile, it's getting cold and the longer I wait, the more I need a bathroom! He finally makes it and begins work on my door after checking my ID. He tries forever to pick my lock. I walk circles as I wait in my uncomfortable condition and I watch as two separate neighbors leave their apartments giving curious looks. The locksmith guy tries various techniques and finally admits that he would need to drill it. Time to call the realitor. He says he has a spare key and can be here in 40 minutes. I pay the locksmith his service fee and head to a McDonalds. I rarely eat fast food anymore, but I figure I can get a cheeseburger for their bathroom services. I come back with the cheeseburger in my purse and wait another 25 minutes for the realitor. He finally makes it laughing up the stairs. He was very nice and said he won't charge me this time. Then he asks if I've found a job yet - and I knew he would ask. How do I tell him that I'm actually considering disability? I look normal to anyone who doesn't know me. I think he was just looking for conversation anyway. I could've offered him a drink, but the place is a mess and it would have been embarrassing for him to see. So he takes off and I come inside. I look on my counter 'where the heck is that key?' Can't find it. I check my purse again even though I had checked all pockets earlier and wouldn't you know it? There's the key! In the purse the whole time!

Time to go eat the cheeseburger...

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Oh boy, I hate it when I do stuff like that. And believe me....I have!