Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Our First Christmas

Most likely I will post this in both the kitty blog and the colorado blog.

Last night was short on sleep. I just wasn't tired. I woke up at one point to find all 3 cats curled at my feet... or rather, my legs. They would never sleep as far down as my feet - that gives me too much room to squirm. I untucked myself for the bathroom and as is the usual custom, Winslow raced in ahead of me in an attempt to beat me to his 'water dish.' He then usually stands on the rim looking at me as if asking me to politely leave the room and wait my turn while he finishes his drink. Some times I push him off, other times I get a drink first.

After the usual battle for the bathroom, there usually follows a now playful kitty. Some times Waldo & Miss Kitty will join him in this although last night was a solo performance. Winsey defiantly insisted on scratching his nails on 4 different pieces of furniture as I yelled out to him from the bedroom. I was sorely tempted to jump out of bed and trim his nails right then when he finally turned around and started using the scratch post... even then it sounded like he was dead set on breaking the thing.

This morning I got up and grabbed the 3 little stockings with their names on them. I unloaded the toys and the fancy feast for them although I won't open the cans until dinner. Around 11am I dragged on my heavy coat and my California sandals to go check my mail and discovered a fresh 2-3 inches of snow... fresh, cold, snow. I didn't think it would start till later, but I was wrong! I broke a fresh trail in my sandals over to the mail box where I actually had several letters waiting for me, but no secret ipod from Krys - so apparently that will be something for another day.

When I got back, I pulled out my 3 new beds for the cats. Winslow hasn't wanted to come out from under the covers yet, but Waldo & Miss Kitty sniffed around each bed before deciding that they would rather play in the box that one of the beds was in (Waldo inside, Miss Kitty pouncing from the outside).

I opened the back door to the balcony to see if anyone would be bold enough to step out. Waldo was the first to go stand in the doorway, followed quickly by Miss Kitty & Winsey. Waldo sat there, looking at me in confusion and meowing. Miss Kitty took a leap and jumped over Waldo. After a few dainty steps outside she decided that it was too cold and came back in. Winslow would do no more than sit behind Waldo in the doorway. When a breeze blew a flurry of snowflakes (you can actually see the individual snowflakes as they fall) into the condo and onto the two boys, both shook out their fur and backed further inside. That being done, I closed the door for my wuss's. Both boys promptly tried to recover their macho images and stretched front paws up the glas door.

This concludes our first Christmas. Dinner will involve tuna noodle casserole for me and turkey fancy feast for the babes. I'll probably light the candles, turn on the christmas tree lights, and start a fire once darkness hits.

No comments: