Saturday, December 8, 2007

slip n slide

Still snowing. I could have buckets of icee now. I drove my way over to Safeway earlier and let me say that was the freakiest thing ever. The trip over wasn't so bad. The trip back = nightmare. First, let me say what a joy it was shoving the shopping cart through the snowy parking lot to my car (people, I discovered, don't even bother to park in actual spots seeing as there are no visible lines. You just kinda park wherever). Then there's the process of loading the car. Then taking the scraper and going around to scrape all the windows... again.

Traffic was slow going home, and I for one was glad. Left hand turns will be the death of me. The car skidded on the first one I made. I don't even know which lane I was attempting to use seeing as I couldn't see the lines. I drove slowly after that until I hit the next left turn. The light was only letting a couple of cars go at a time, but I couldn't see that due to the big truck in front of me. I slammed on the brakes when I realized the light was red only to skid out a little more and to have to reverse back into a semi-normal position. When the light finally turned green again, the car skidded... a lot... on the turn and it took a few cranks of the wheel to finally get it under control. After that cars passed me like crazy as I inched my way home - and I didn't care!

I got into my parking lot and seriously debated parking way over in visitor parking so that I wouldn't be likely to skid into my spot and hit the neighboring car. Fortunately it was only one car next to my spot. If both cars had been there on either side, I think I would have gone to visitor. I made it into my spot safely though and I can only hope my neighbors now won't hit me.

The next time I will even attempt to drive again is Monday. Shelly/Patrick flight comes in around 1pm and I plan to leave early! It's supposed to be like 30% chance of snow and then clear the rest of the week. Good chance I'll be handing over the car keys to one of them for Monday at least. They want Olive Garden that night and if they want to drive us over, I'm up for that.

The good news: It's only 15 degrees and dropping. I left the milk to be refrigerated in the car rather than lug it up to my floor. I'll get it in the morning.

No comments: